I remember when I was first diagnosed with all my mental illness labels, and how I was told I would struggle for the rest of my life. I felt isolated and insecure, believing I was the only person to struggle from something as heavy-sounding as “manic-depressive illness.”
Today, with mental illness labels becoming ubiquitous features to our modern society, we are becoming more accepting that mental health is something we need to support. But to heal? To reverse symptoms? THAT sounds like a foreign concept.
Survivors exist. Those of us who have gone through the labeling, the medicating, and the treatment and have come out on the other side with new tools that work long-term… we exist too. That is why I was so excited to invite fellow survivor Dr. Christina Bjorndal on the show.
Dr. Christina Bjorndal, ND is an authority in the treatment of mental illnesses such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorders and eating disorders. Having overcome many mental health challenges, Dr. Chris is recognized as one of the top NDs to follow by two independent organizations. Dr. Chris has helped many patients achieve physical, mental, emotional and spiritual wellbeing. She has written four books on mental health as well as created two courses – a 10-week course for individuals and a Clinician’s Integrative Mental Health 10 week course.
Download this episode here or find wherever you get podcasts.
- Dr. Chris’ personal journal with mental illness
- Background on the gut/brain connection
- Four aspects of health and how they connect
- Getting to the root of anxiety and how to control our thoughts
- Psychoneuroimmunology and how all systems are connected
- How to get out of a depression
- The role of the nervous system in mental health symptoms
- How to support kids’ mental health
- How to look beyond the label or diagnosis
Learn more about Dr. Chris and her work at drchristinabjorndal.com.