Who’s sick of cooking the same old, same old and is ready for something new and EASY? You can’t tell, but I’m raising my hand. I am currently in training for a new whole food nutritional program I will be launching soon, so I’ve been playing with some recipes, changing things up, and throwing together new things to incorporate (as usual) as many colorful veggies as I can in one meal.
The original version of this recipe I received courtesy of my friend Megan, from a detox program I ran a few years ago. It’s versatile, because it works for people who have issues with gluten or dairy, and it’s so easy and fast – who doesn’t love that?
Even my picky three-year-old loves this recipe! He likes it with jasmine rice, which is a pantry staple in our house!
- 1.5 lb boneless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil pesto, homemade or store-bought (dairy or nut free? Use basil paste or fresh basil)
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a Dutch oven, season chicken liberally with salt and pepper.
- Layer chicken, seasoning, garlic, basil pesto, tomato, and bacon.
- Place lid on top and cook in oven for 1-1 1/2 hours until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with rice, pasta, or my favorite – cauliflower rice!
*For crock pot option, follow directions above and cook 4-6 hours.
That’s IT. Now, if you are like me, it will need more seasonings than the recommended amount above. So play with it; add what you like. And as always – let me know what you think!