Don’t let the name scare you away. I’ve never been a fan of egg rolls. But this dish – major fan. In fact, I’ve tried just about every variety out there on the interwebs, and this is my favorite. My kids love it. The adults love it. It’s a win.
(Just to be clear, my kids also like sushi and dislike pasta with red sauce. So take their feedback with a grain of pink Himalayan sea salt, okay?)
My FAVORITE things about this meal: it takes about 15 minutes to make (start to finish) clean up is simple, and it’s extremely filling and satisfying.
I don’t like to use pork too much because I don’t trust the sourcing/toxicity, so sometimes I’ll use grass fed beef and that’s good, too. The most flavorful meat to use in this is ground breakfast sausage. Again – toxin alert for you purists. But it’s soooooo delicious.
As far as cabbage goes, I prefer a head of green cabbage because it’s so cheap and cabbage is one of the “Clean 15,” so you don’t have to freak about buying unorganic. Pre-shredded bagged cabbage works too, but as long as you have a good knife, save your money!
I’ve used a blend of purple and green cabbage with shredded carrots, and that’s good too. You really can’t go wrong. You could add mushrooms or broccoli or any other vegetable you’re in the mood for.
It’s a one-pan wonder. Cook the pork in the pan until done, then throw in the seasonings and mix around. Cover with cabbage and cook until cabbage is soft and glistening. That’s IT.
Don’t forget the green onions. I have before and it just doesn’t taste as good. This dish totally needs green onions. And sriracha – don’t forget that either! With some sliced avocado on top, some cilantro, or even parsley – it is seriously becoming a comfort food to all of us.
- 1 pound ground pork or beef (or breakfast sausage, like I love)
- 1 head cabbage or 1 bag pre-shredded cabbage
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon garlic powder (minced works too)*
- 1-2 tablespoons ginger paste (minced works too)*
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (optional)
- Sriracha to taste
- Green onions
- On low-medium heat, start cooking the meat in a large pan.
- While it finishes up, slice the cabbage into small, bite-sized pieces. You need a little more than 4 cups, so it’s just a little less than a full head of cabbage.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and onion spices to the meat and stir around.
- Cover the meat with the cabbage and stir as it cooks. It’ll take a few minutes to cook completely. Add coconut aminos and sesame oil if you want as it cooks.
- When the cabbage is softened and starting to look more translucent, throw in the green onions and stir them in.
- Take the pan off the burner and serve with whatever optional sauce or garnish you like!
*Note – I like a LOT of garlic and ginger. So adjust the seasonings accordingly.
One thought on “The BEST Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe”