While I frequently share information about supporting children’s mental health, adolescent mental health, and the mental health of everyone else, I have failed to address a very important group of our population – aging adults. Like children, older adults may have symptoms that appear to be physical in nature, but in actuality are a manifestation of depression or anxiety.
Amanda Lambert and Leslie Eckford are co-authors of “Choose Your Place: Rethinking Home as You Age,” “Aging with Care: Your Guide to Hiring and Managing Caregivers at Home” and “Beating the Senior Blues: How to Feel Better and Enjoy Life Again.”
Download this episode here or find wherever you get podcasts!
– Amanda and Leslie’s background in elder care
– The stigma of mental health and aging
– Symptoms of depression and anxiety in older adults and why it manifests differently
– How to advocate for parents as they age
– Adapting to the role reversal of child to caregiver
– Finding boundaries in caring for aging parents
– Resentments that develop
– Multi-generational living and all it entails
– How to fully support the mental health of the elderly
– The importance of regular communication
To learn more about Amanda and Leslie, head to mindfulaging.com.
Proven quality sleep is life-changing sleep. Special offers now available at sleepnumber.com/wholeness.