I love a good one skillet meal. I love easy. I love minimal prep. This is why the frittata is becoming my BFF.
Here’s the thing about this frittata – I’ve done it a few times, with a variety of ingredients. And it always tastes yummy. So while I DO have an ingredient list and directions, know that it is completely malleable to fit your needs or desires.
Like kale instead of spinach? Use kale! Hate sweet potatoes? Use regular potatoes or play with turnips! Sub breakfast sausage for bacon, add some bell peppers, use feta instead of goat cheese, throw in tomatoes…you really have endless options here.
Oh dang – I forgot to mention mushrooms or green chilies. Those would be REALLY yummy in this, too!
- 3 slices of bacon
- Half an onion, diced
- One sweet potato, cut into small cubes (omit if you’re hard-core keto)
- Lots of spinach
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk (almond milk is okay too)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Goat cheese (or regular shredded cow cheese if that’s your thing)
- Herb of your choice (I went for parsley this time, but rosemary is DIVINE with eggs and sweet potatoes)
- Preheat oven to 375. Heat a cast iron skillet on low to medium heat and get the bacon going.
- As the bacon cooks, chop up onions and sweet potato. Crack all 8 eggs in a bowl and whisk with coconut milk and all spices.
- When bacon is done cooking and dark but not burning, remove to a plate with paper towels and let cool.
- Place onions in the bacon grease and cook until translucent and soft.
- Add sweet potatoes and cook until soft and you can easily cut through.
- Completely cover the top with spinach. Stir around until spinach starts to wilt.
- Sprinkle crumbled bacon on top.
- Pour egg mixture over until everything is submerged in egg liquid.
- Place dollops of goat cheese all over the top of the eggs.
- Sprinkle with herb of choice.
- Place in oven and set for 15-20 minutes.
- It will be done when edges are golden brown and the center is puffed up and no liquid remains in the center.
- Cool and enjoy!