Dr. Lori Shemek is an award-winning, bestselling author of How to Fight FATflammation, The Ketogenic Key, Beginner’s Guide to Intermittent Fasting, and Fire-Up Your Fat Burn. She is a leading health and weight loss expert who has been featured in countless publications and TV shows. She is also known as “The Inflammation Terminator.”
In this episode, Dr. Shemek shares about her new book, The Ketogenic Key. She shares what the keto diet is, how ketosis benefits our mental health, benefits of intermittent fasting, how inflammation is a threat to our health and well-being, and practical ways to implement changes to your lifestyle.
Podcast is available on the show page or wherever you get your podcasts!
Key topics addressed:
- The importance of the ketogenic diet and how it isn’t a fad
- The deal with carbs and sugar
- Creating metabolic flexibility
- The difference between low carb and keto
- Intermittent fasting, autophagy, and mitochondrial biogenesis
- The raw broccoli test for hunger
- Who should not practice intermittent fasting
- Why women NEED protein as we age
- The benefits of healthy fat
- Types of inflammation and the effects
- How to do keto in real life
- What kind of alcohol is okay for keto
Her book, The Ketogenic Key, is a perfect guidebook for all things related to ketosis, and is a great way to learn how to enhance your brain and body health in an easy to understand way. It is available wherever you purchase books!
Ali Miller is a registered dietitian, integrative functional medicine practitioner, and author of Naturally Nourished, The Anti-Anxiety Diet, and The Anti-Anxiety Diet Cookbook.
In this episode we discuss the concept of food as mood, how neurotransmitters play a role in gut health, and how your stress response affects your overall health – from mental wellness to reproductive function to immune health.
She explains the 6 approaches she takes to restoring our bodies to their rightful state, how to biohack our bodies and create metabolic flexibility – and simple tools to reducing panic and anxiety during times of stress.
Key topics covered in this episode:
- Blood sugar regulation is key to balancing mood.
- The imbalance of our stress response in the HPA axis and how “the body has to feel safe to do well.”
- Reduce inflammation, reset the microbiome, repair the gut lining, restore micronutrients, rebound the adrenal glands, and rebalance neurotransmitters.
- What excessive screen time does for our dopamine.
- How 90% of serotonin is produced in the gut and why probiotics can be nature’s Prozac.
- Breath is the most powerful way to harness the HPA axis and how to use mantras.
- How she uses a strategic ketogenic approach with her clients and the reasons it has been beneficial for so many of them.
To download and listen to the full episode, click here. For the link to iTunes, click here.
To learn more about Ali and her work, head to http://www.alimillerrd.com or check out her podcast at http://www.naturallynourishedrd.com.