Brrrr – it’s cold outside in Dallas, so you know what that means for me??? Time to post a soup recipe!
I wish I knew where this recipe came from, to give credit where credit is due. But I don’t – I’ll just say my family requests this every time the weather cools down a bit, and this recipe has always been a hit in my coaching groups.
It’s gluten free, dairy free, and SUPER filling. You can sub the white potatoes for sweet potatoes – or even Japanese sweet potatoes!
When I worked away from home full time, I prepped all ingredients the night before, stored them in the fridge, then dumped them in the crock pot the next morning, set on the lowest setting.
These days I throw it all together and cook on high for 4 hours.
- 1 pound Italian sausage (or breakfast sausage or grass fed beef)
- 10 slices bacon
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 32 ounce carton broth (beef has the most flavor)
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk, refrigerated to separate cream
- Cook sausage in pan.
- Cook bacon in pan or bake on 375 for about 35 minutes until desired crispness.
- While those cook, chop potatoes and onions.
- Place everything in slow cooker except bacon, kale and coconut milk.
- About 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving, add kale.
- A few minutes before serving, add just the separated coconut cream to the slow cooker.
- Chop bacon in small pieces and serve on top of soup. **Some people throw the bacon in at the beginning with everything else, but I think it has more flavor as a garnish.
3 thoughts on “Favorite Slow Cooker Potato Soup”