It may not look all that picture perfect, as it’s kind of a brown blob, but trust me when I say – this grain-free version of goulash/hamburger helper is LEGIT.
I really hate the word goulash. Say it out loud. GOO-LAWSH. Gross. But hamburger helper makes me think of the cute little hand with a face – anyone remember that? My mom says when she made goulash I disliked it, but I don’t remember that. When I made this, the scent took my mind to a happy place in my childhood.
It took about 15 minutes to make and it is such a tasty, whole-food-packed version of the original. Cauliflower goes in place of the pasta. If you think that’s disgusting, or you fear your people won’t eat it like this, you could probably do a bit of undetectable riced cauliflower to keep the veggie content up, and then stir in cooked pasta instead of cauli florets. It will still be delicious!
In fact, I may have to do that next time, because Some People in my house looked at it and said, “Bleh!” (What does he know about cruciferous veggies, anyway? He’s 2.)
You can add cheese to this, but you may be surprised that it’s pretty dang good without it. Some may want to add nutritional yeast, and if that’s your thing – go for it. The meat/sauce base is really the main thing. Everything else is adjustable.
- 1 pound grass fed ground beef
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 12-16 oz bag of frozen cauliflower florets
- 1 cup shredded cheese (optional)
- Dairy free alternative – use nutritional yeast
- In a large skillet on medium heat, cook the meat and onions together until meat is crumbled and browned.
- Stir in the seasonings and add tomato sauce.
- Add cauliflower, cover, and cook until cauliflower is tender.
- Let simmer on low for about 10 minutes while all flavors meld together.
- Add cheese or nutritional yeast, stir together and serve.
2 thoughts on “Grain-Free Goulash (AKA Upgraded Hamburger Helper)”