Ali Miller is a registered dietitian, integrative functional medicine practitioner, and author of Naturally Nourished, The Anti-Anxiety Diet, and The Anti-Anxiety Diet Cookbook.
In this episode we discuss the concept of food as mood, how neurotransmitters play a role in gut health, and how your stress response affects your overall health – from mental wellness to reproductive function to immune health.
She explains the 6 approaches she takes to restoring our bodies to their rightful state, how to biohack our bodies and create metabolic flexibility – and simple tools to reducing panic and anxiety during times of stress.
Key topics covered in this episode:
- Blood sugar regulation is key to balancing mood.
- The imbalance of our stress response in the HPA axis and how “the body has to feel safe to do well.”
- Reduce inflammation, reset the microbiome, repair the gut lining, restore micronutrients, rebound the adrenal glands, and rebalance neurotransmitters.
- What excessive screen time does for our dopamine.
- How 90% of serotonin is produced in the gut and why probiotics can be nature’s Prozac.
- Breath is the most powerful way to harness the HPA axis and how to use mantras.
- How she uses a strategic ketogenic approach with her clients and the reasons it has been beneficial for so many of them.