My newest discovery in foodie land is the amazing Japanese sweet potato. Maybe it appeals to me because it’s purple on the outside (my favorite color), maybe it’s just because it’s unique, but either way – it is an extremely versatile friend in my kitchen. This guy has the ability to go sweet OR savory – no easy feat.
Because I’ve always loved a good sweet treat, I decided to go in the sweet direction. It makes it fun for kids, too! My 2 year old had to fight me for the last few bites of these “nachos.”
As usual, I used my air fryer for this recipe, but it’s doable in the oven too – might just take a little more time to get nice and crispy.
You can use peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower butter, whatever your favorite is. Trader Joe’s has a fabulous mixed nut butter that would be good on this too! The chia seeds give it some crunch, and the coconut/honey combo complete the flavor explosion. If you really want to get crazy, sprinkle some cocoa powder on top! Oh, the options!
- 1 Japanese sweet potato, cut into rounds
- 1 tablespoon avocado or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons organic nut butter
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup or raw honey
- Unsweetened coconut flakes to taste
- Preheat oven or air fryer to 400°
- Coat the slices of sweet potato in oil and cinnamon and place on an oiled baking pan or in the air fryer. Cook until crisp on outside, about 10-15 minutes for air fryer or 30-40 in oven.
- Remove from heat and arrange on plate. Top with nut butter, chia seeds, and coconut. Drizzle with preferred sweetener.
- Eat slowly, savoring the flavor combination and ENJOY!