My kids LOVE sugar and gluten. But their guts don’t. So I was thrilled when I first discovered this recipe for breakfast cookies that are free of sugar, gluten AND dairy (depending on the chocolate chips you use)! I’ve made a few tweaks to the original recipe, and I have to say, they’re pretty dang good!
Start by mashing up bananas with a fork and then add the coconut oil and vanilla. From there, dump in the dry ingredients and mix it all around with a fork. I never even need to use a spoon, and hey – that’s one last thing to load in the dishwasher right? Check out this happy banana-masher I had today:
Oats are a little controversial for some, as they can potentially contain gluten if they aren’t labeled “gluten free.” But there are many studies that link oats with the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut, which is always something I’m a fan of! The walnuts in this cookie are a nice brain-boosting touch, and you could also add in dried fruit or even blueberries, another brain-boosting food.
The chocolate chips do add some sugar, but it’s minimal when you consider the typical breakfast food item for kids these days. It’s hard to find chocolate chips free of soy, gluten and dairy. I like the Enjoy Life brand or Lily’s because they contain stevia!
3 ripe mashed bananas
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups rolled oats
2/3 cup almond meal (I’ve subbed coconut flour before without a problem)
1 tsp baking powder
At least 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chocolate chips
2/3 unsweetened shredded coconut
Optional – 1 scoop protein powder or collagen
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mash bananas in a large mixing bowl then stir in vanilla and coconut oil.
3. Add the salt, baking powder, cinnamon, oats, almond meal, optional protein powder, and stir.
4. Stir in the walnuts, chocolate chips, and shredded coconut, or whatever else you want to add!
5. Scoop dough onto baking sheet with cookie scoop.
6. Bake for 12-16 minutes. I love them still warm with a little nut butter on top!