Ali Miller is a registered dietitian, integrative functional medicine practitioner, and author of Naturally Nourished, The Anti-Anxiety Diet, and The Anti-Anxiety Diet Cookbook.
In this episode we discuss the concept of food as mood, how neurotransmitters play a role in gut health, and how your stress response affects your overall health – from mental wellness to reproductive function to immune health.
She explains the 6 approaches she takes to restoring our bodies to their rightful state, how to biohack our bodies and create metabolic flexibility – and simple tools to reducing panic and anxiety during times of stress.
Key topics covered in this episode:
- Blood sugar regulation is key to balancing mood.
- The imbalance of our stress response in the HPA axis and how “the body has to feel safe to do well.”
- Reduce inflammation, reset the microbiome, repair the gut lining, restore micronutrients, rebound the adrenal glands, and rebalance neurotransmitters.
- What excessive screen time does for our dopamine.
- How 90% of serotonin is produced in the gut and why probiotics can be nature’s Prozac.
- Breath is the most powerful way to harness the HPA axis and how to use mantras.
- How she uses a strategic ketogenic approach with her clients and the reasons it has been beneficial for so many of them.
To download and listen to the full episode, click here. For the link to iTunes, click here.
To learn more about Ali and her work, head to http://www.alimillerrd.com or check out her podcast at http://www.naturallynourishedrd.com.
Why in the world would I load my coffee up with fat? Does that sound weird and backwards to you?
Well, I’ve been doing it for almost two years now and it has changed my health in many ways. Here are some benefits I’ve noticed:
- Less “hanger,” more blood sugar control
- Decreased sugar cravings
- More alert mentally
- Able to practice intermittent fasting, which increases my BDNF (brain derived neurotrophic factor)
- It gives my brain the right kind of healthy fat it NEEDS for optimal function
Also, it tastes really really good. Like my own homemade foamy latte.
When I start my day with a processed refined grain like cereal or a bagel or English muffin, which I did for many years, I would be hungry within a couple hours and my brain would be mush.
Starting my day with fat-fueled coffee (also known as “bulletproof coffee”) fills me up so I can prolong my brain-boosting fast, it provides butyrate and MCT oil for brain health, and it keeps my blood sugar from going crazy because I don’t need to sweeten it! I have energy throughout the day and I have a clear head to make more brain-nourishing nutritional choices.
Here’s the thing that throws people off – this IS intended to replace a meal. But listen to your body. If you are hungry right after, EAT! Fuel yourself with high quality animal protein, a healthy fat, and colorful fruits and veggies. Sometimes I prolong my fast by drinking my coffee this way, sometimes I’m ready to eat not long after. Every day is different, depending on the activity level.
This coffee is not intended to be a starvation/weight loss tool. It is just another option for those who are already drinking coffee and loading up on artificial flavors with creamers and sweeteners. Those will fail your blood sugar, every time.
This is an alternative that will make you feel good and provide health benefits. For so many, coffee provides the highest amount of polyphenols they will consume in a day. So let’s make it even better!
Here’s how I do mine: Continue reading “Fatty Coffee”