Are there alternatives to medication for mental illness? Is there a way to avoid all the long-term side effects? What other tools can we utilize to help balance our neurotransmitters naturally?
In this interview with Dr. Josh Friedman, we take a deep dive into neurotransmitters and how to optimize them for mental wellness, via food as well as amino acid supplementation.
Dr. Friedman has a doctorate in Psychology from New York University and did post-doctoral training in Psychoanalysis from the Training and Research Institute for Self Psychology (TRISP) in New York City. He also is certified as a Holistic Health Counselor from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition in New York and earned a Diploma of Comprehensive Nutrition (Dip.CN) from Huntington College of Health Sciences.
Download this episode wherever you get podcasts!
Key Topics include:
– The importance of digesting protein to create the right neurotransmitters
– The struggle with treatment-resistant depression
– Why B12 is essential for mental health
– How enzymes aid in digesting protein in order to benefit our mental health
– Amino acid suggestions for low serotonin, low dopamine, and low endorphins
– And so much more!
Find more info on Dr. Friedman’s work click here.
Books mentioned in episode:
The Mood Cure by Julia Ross
The Anti-Anxiety Solution by Trudy Scott
Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker
Questionnaire for amino acids mentioned in the episode click here.